Speed bump request for Stucley Road in Bideford

carl_hawkins

Administrator
I have been asked to look into the possibilities of adding speed bumps along Stucley Road, I have had limited feedback from residents and will seek to find out more, the feeling is that the traffic has increased due to the new housing development and traffic now appears to be higher and faster.

Last edited:

Chris.Hassall.

New housing development - - - is that the 68 houses and 4 flats, approved last year ?
I thought it was crazy having access to that lot via Stucley Rd.
Should have been from Clovelly Rd., access beside Blights.
I fear speed bumps would cause extra noise and pollution, especially during the construction phase with heavy vehicles.
Chris H.

joel herron

I don't know if speed bumps are the answer. There have been reports that they can increase pollution from cars as they slow down and then speed up on the other side of the bump.
I'd say that we need to look at car alternatives.
Maybe we could pay taxi drivers a daily rate so as they are available to all and free?
Car sharing? e scooters? small busses on permanent loops around town for ten p a ride?
If the ten thousand houses that are promised for us appear then our traffic will be nightmarish every day.

carl_hawkins

Administrator
So, when someone from the public - a neighbour for example asks you to look into the additional speed and number of vehicles travelling the road outside their house and suggests speed bumps as a solution then whats our course of action? how would you answer their questions?

I like your suggestions though Joel but i know a few taxi drivers and really doubt they would consider a daily rate.

joel herron

what if the daily rate was i dunno £150 a day? blimey how much do they earn? do i need to buy a four door saloon?...

Speed bumps is a really tricky issue. I guess we need to research other traffic calming infrastructure in the short term and look to encourage people out of their cars buy providing alternatives(whatever they may be) in the long term. A water slide from old town into the quay would be a winner.

carl_hawkins

Administrator
The income for Taxi Drivers cover a wide range, some drivers that work on a percentage basis i.e. 60/40 split - business/driver would probably consider this daily rate, others independent drivers though that cover regular clients or have school contracts can make a lot more income by doing two runs each day - i know what your saying though, so i will put this to a couple of drivers just to gain their thoughts.

joel herron

Yeah cool. I forgot about the school runs. When I was teaching SEN a lot of them used taxis and it wasn't cheap. Be nice to see what they think. Also I don't know how, but turning the idea of car sharing into something positive is a winner as well. That will be a tough one but really important.

Chris.Hassall.

Surely a taxi coming out from the quay to pick up a passenger and take them into town would mean two journeys along the road instead of one for a private car.?
First thing should be a traffic survey to find out who is using the road and when and for what purpose (and how fast !), then consider a bus service (I presume there isn't one ?)
Those 68 new houses at the far end can't have been built already can they ? Stucley rd. is far too long and narrow and serving far too many houses already - - - and I've only ever driven along there once!
Chris H.